WHEN: Friday November 10 – Saturday November 11 2023, 5PM – 8PM
WHERE: Visitacion Valley Greenway,
Leland Ave & Peabody St. to Campbell Ave & Rutland St., San Francisco
The Visitacion Valley Light Festival seeks artists of all skill levels to light up the Greenway. Bring your stunning interactive light art, install your illuminated sculpture, or bring your DIY skills to fruition in supporting community engagement.
After a smashing success in 2022 including 700+ attendees we are expanding the event to span 2 nights, enabling more visitors and more complex art installations:
- Setup: Friday Nov 10 10AM-5PM
- First Night: Friday Nov 10 5PM-8PM (overnight security guards in each park after event)
- Second Night: Saturday Nov 11 5PM-8PM (overnight security guards in each park after event)
- Breakdown: Sunday Nov 12 10AM-2PM
Visitacion Valley, a San Francisco neighborhood home to working-class families from a variety of ethnic and cultural backgrounds, was historically neglected by government officials. The Visitacion Valley Light Festival is part of a larger effort to activate the community and promote local business on the Leland Avenue commercial corridor.
The Visitacion Valley Greenway is a series of six adjacent public parks allowing visitors to meander through the heart of Vis Valley amidst greenery and public art. VVLF will illuminate the four southern parks in a free, family-friendly public event:
- Hans Schiller Plaza: Gateway to the Greenway from Leland Avenue, next to popular café Mission Blue and other local businesses. Lawns for picnics and a performance stage with seating.
- Community Garden: greenhouses and gardening plots for local residents and youth programs, alongside a lushly canopied walking path
- Herb Garden: Patio areas, terraced herb garden, beautiful lookout with views of San Bruno Mountain
- Children’s Play Garden: Popular local playground, lawn area for dog walks and picnics, forested area