WHEN: Saturday, December 17 5PM-8PM
WHERE: Visitacion Valley Greenway, Leland Ave & Peabody St. to Campbell Ave & Rutland St.
The Visitacion Valley Holiday Light Festival is a community art event where families can explore and interact with light art by local Bay Area artists. Leland Corridor businesses will stay open late to provide warm bites and beverages. Family-friendly activities include photo booths, Visitacion Valley history movie showings, Christmas Carol Karaoke, and a live jazz band.
Local community organizations will be there to share their latest offerings and resources. And it will all happen under the wonderful glow of holiday lights!
Visitacion Valley, a San Francisco neighborhood home to working-class families from a variety of ethnic and cultural backgrounds, was historically neglected by government officials. The Visitacion Valley Holiday Light Festival is part of a larger effort to activate the community and promote local business on the Leland Avenue commercial corridor.
The Visitacion Valley Greenway is a series of six adjacent public parks allowing visitors to meander through the heart of Vis Valley amidst greenery and public art. VVHLF will illuminate the four southern parks in a free, family-friendly public event:
Hans Schiller Plaza: Gateway to the Greenway from Leland Avenue, next to popular café Mission Blue and other local businesses. Lawns for picnics and a performance stage with seating.
- Luminous Waveforms by Victoria Heilweil & Phil Spitler https://luminouswaveforms.art/
- Entwined Meadow Flower Clusters by Charles Gadeken https://www.charlesgadeken.com/entwinedmeadow-1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bQYKkR3pM0
- StarGate by John McCoy https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pSTiY-ZeHeo2PWWWy4Q-w2Alwe0ctRvc/view?usp=sharing
- Holosphere by Michael Singletary and Gabriel Levy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4il80qZ97Bk
- Late Bloomer by Marina Polakoff https://www.instagram.com/p/Ch0hTE3PTus/
Community Garden: greenhouses and gardening plots for local residents and youth programs, alongside a lushly canopied walking path
- Isolation by Phil Spitler & Omar Rodriguez https://philspitler.carbonmade.com/issolation
- Clockwork Eye by Grant Patterson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mioJMNZalo
Herb Garden: Patio areas, terraced herb garden, beautiful lookout with views of San Bruno Mountain
- Scared Little Boy by Grant Patterson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sig3U20LeTI
- Lightsichord by Grant Patterson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnSUWZG0jmQ
Children’s Play Garden: Popular local playground, lawn area for dog walks and picnics, forested area
- Wormhole by Filma Collective https://filmacollective.org/wormhole/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4PTG7i3spk
- Mechanical Monarch Butterflies by Sander van de Bor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2o0bSqACcs
The neighborhood just celebrated the lighting of Leland Corridor and it was so wonderful to see the community reveling after dark under the newly strung lights.
We want to see more neighborhood activity at night and encourage more opportunities in the future.
But guess what? WE NEED MONEY. Not only does it take resources to make something like this happen, but we also want to pay the artists.
We need funds for infrastructure to make the event safe at night, especially crossing the streets to get to the different parks in the chain of the Greenway.
We need to fund transportation of art to and from the event. And of course we need POWER to light up the art pieces.
Most importantly, we feel the need to provide an honorarium to the artists who are willing to make and share their art with the community. Art is one piece of what makes San Francisco such a wonderful place to live and raise a family. Please help us support our local artists.
We’ve applied for grants and tapped into local art funds, but it isn’t enough. Please help us fill our funding gap.
If you’re interested in submitting art to the festival, click here for details.
Here’s a taste of what’s in store: